My photo
Ocean Springs, Mississippi, United States

Followers

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday, November 11th


First, I'd like to thank John Collins for his many visits. John works next door at the VA Medical Center. I am attaching a picture of John and Wes from last week. Thank you for your concerns and your company. Wesley is very appreciative.

Yesterday, after I spoke to Wes's doctor, she gave me some literature. I didn't get a chance to read it till last night, and I would like to share it with you to help you better understand where Wesley is at right now. They rate the patients on their Cognitive Functioning on levels between 1-8. Wesley is at a 5. A level 5 is labeled as "Confused-Inappropriate". "The person appears alert and is able to follow simple commands at times. If the commands become complex, or aren't precise enough, the individual's responses will be random, and without direction. Verbal expression reflects the confusion and disorientation the person is experiencing. Beyond very simple responses, the person's speech is often inappropriate and marked by confabulation(made-up responses and stories). Short-term memory is severely impaired. The person has a tendancy to wander from the setting. He needs help to initiate and complete everyday tasks such as dressing, grooming, etc...."

Now remember, Wes was only around a 3 when he first got here. So, he has come very far and I'm sure he will be a 6 by next week. Just thought this might help you all to better understand the brain and what it goes through while it heals. It really is fascinating to watch this healing process. I am so lucky and blessed to have this opportunity, and to be able to share it with all of you. Don't stop praying.........It's working. Jennie

1 comment:

Dan and Deanne said...

Jennie,

I continue to be amazed and inspired by both you and Wesley. I am of course in awe and constant admiration of the miracles our Lord can work. He continues to move mountains and is making it possible for you and Wesley to grow even closer day by day. I agree with you that the progress that has already been made is remarkable. Stay strong and continue to keep the faith! Dan & I send all our love to both of you!